m Not Jealous of Sancho - Rooney

'

While Rooney’s international career was coming to a close on Thursday, Jadon Sancho’s was just beginning.

The 18-year-old Dortmund stood out on his first Three Lions start against the USA and Rooney was impressed with what he saw at first hand.

“I’m not surprised by him. He is a fantastic talent," Rooney said. "I spoke to him before the game and he said he was nervous, which is normal, but the important thing for me was that he showed he isn’t afraid to make mistakes.

"He’s only 18. It happens. Of course, you’re going to make mistakes. I told him to have an impact and a few moments that people will remember – and he certainly did that.”

Rooney also laughed off suggestions he was envious of Sancho, saying he is looking forward to watching the Dortmund youngster spearhead a glorious era for the Three Lions.

“I’m not jealous,” he said. “I’m a fan now. I’ve had my time. Are you jealous of me because I’m younger than you? Of course, I’m excited for him. I’m excited for all of them, I’m excited for England. This is a great opportunity for this group of players to make that next step.

“They’ve already got to a World Cup semi-final, but they can’t sit back and be happy about doing what the 1990 team did. They have got the potential to go further. This is a young group of players, but I can see the mentality is right and they’ll be pushing for more.”

Previous Post Next Post

Comments System

blogger/disqus/facebook